Monday, July 2, 2012

IT'S BOTH A MANDATE AND A TAX...SO STOP THE SEMANTIC BICKERING

Out here in the hinterland of realityville, I am really sorry to see this argument over whether Obamacare is a mandate or a tax.  For crying out loud, folks.  It is a "mandated" tax on a "mandated" activity, and/or non-activity.  Got that?  Yeah, me, too.  So it is both, is it not?

First, every citizen (except those favored who got waivers) is required to have health insurance under Obamacare.  Bingo. That is a MANDATE!  Next, as I have read the last few days in several credible articles, citizens are required to pay taxes on their newly mandated insurance policies.  Bingo.  It is a TAX.  

If it isn't a tax, then why is the IRS tasked with collections?  If it isn't a mandate, then why must we all comply with this gross exaggeration of government power?  If it is a penalty for inaction....oh wait a minute....now that is both a "fine" and a mandate. 

So Romney sides with Kennedy and Scalia and says it is a mandate, not a tax? Quote from The Hill  And the Obama administration says it is a mandate, not a tax?  The Chicago Tribune   And the Chief Justice Roberts (or is that the Dread Pirate Roberts?) says it is a tax, not a mandate? I can just see that argument in the national presidential debates.  Romney: "It's a mandate."  Obama: "It's a mandate."  

 Man in Black: All right. Where is the poison? The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink, and find out who is right... and who is dead.
Vizzini
: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.


Oh, so they both agree with each other, but disagree with the Dread Pirate Roberts?  "No, no, it's a tax!"

(Westley: Roberts had grown so rich, he wanted to retire. He took me to his cabin and he told me his secret. 'I am not the Dread Pirate Roberts' he said. 'My name is Ryan; I inherited the ship from the previous Dread Pirate Roberts, just as you will inherit it from me. The man I inherited it from is not the real Dread Pirate Roberts either. His name was Cummerbund. The real Roberts has been retired 15 years and living like a king in Patagonia.'
Fezzik: [pretending to be the Dread Pirate Roberts] My men are here! I am here! But soon *you* will not be here! )

Is your head spinning yet?  I think we are dealing with Rodents of Unusual Size about now.  Death panels soon to follow.
Westley: Where am I?
The Albino : [raspy voice] The Pit of Despair! Don't even think...
[clears throat]
The Albino : ... don't even think about trying to escape. The chains are far too thick. Don't dream of being rescued, either; the only way in is secret. Only the Prince, the Count, and I know how to get in and out.
Westley : So I'm here till I die?
The Albino : Until they kill you, yeah.
Westley : Then why bother curing me?
The Albino : Well, the Prince and Count always insist on everyone being healthy before they're broken.
Westley : So it's to be torture?
The Albino : [nods enthusiastically]
Westley : I can cope with torture.
The Albino : [shakes head enthusiastically]
Westley : Don't believe me?
The Albino : You survived the Fire Swamp, so you must be very brave, but no one withstands The Machine. 


(I love "The Princess Bride." I guess you can see that now.)  You can laugh while they are killing you, and me, and oh, the nation, too.  Bickering will get us everywhere...just ask Obama!

2 comments:

  1. Fro the time being, I am willing to give Romney the benefit of the doubt. Words have many and the word "tax" has meaning as well. As inept as our house and Senate members are, they do know how to write a tax bill. Every tax bill ever passed said it was a tax and every one originaed in the House as required by the constitution. This bill was intended to be a mandate under the commerce clause and Roberts knew it. He deliberately changed the intention to make it constitutional. If that is what Romney is saying, I agree with him. What Roberts did was wrong and Romney should mahe that case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, Jim...as far as the out of control power of the federal government, they could call it a cucumber and we still get screwed. I, personally, think it is both...a "mandated tax" on both activity and inactivity. The whole thing is such a monstrous web entangling all of us in so many ways...and using the expansion of the IRS as enforcer of this thing. There is no hope for ever having freedom in this country again with this on the books as precedent. All that came before this was precedent, so this is just one more knot in the noose. So...Romney...oh for crying out loud. The guy cannot justifiably get out of what he did in Mass. This is just a bloody disaster all the way around. I really think this is the week we lost the country for good.

    ReplyDelete