Sunday, November 20, 2011

SAID THE SPIDER TO THE FLY - THE COUNCILMAN TO THE CROWD

You may all think I've lost my mind, but the wonderful poem, "The Spider and the Fly," came across my mind today as I was thinking about a certain councilman who has so arrogantly flown in the face of the citizens of our fine city, demanding we have our recycling bins tracked with RFID chips. To him I dedicate this adaptation of The Spider and the Fly, by Mary Howitt

Said The Councilman To The Crowd

"Come into my parlour," said the Councilman to the Crowd.
"It's nice and sweet to welcome you, and of it I'm so proud."
"It's all of you, dear citizens, I only want to please."
"The ID chips in those new bins will just promote the breeze."
"You know I care so much for you and think you all so grand,
That I can't have your freedoms running our fine city land."

"Oh, no, no, no," said the listening Crowd, "to push this is so wrong."
"And after all is said and done, we are the voting throng."
"You must not do this, Councilman, we think you are so smug."
"You cause us all to be dismayed and heave a great big shrug."
"We've heard the spiel and can't forget the undeniable truth,"
That ID chips are sinister, and you, sir, are uncouth."

The Councilman replied to them with haughty nose held high,
"Dumb and stupid foolish bunch, I say you must comply."
"You, silly folks who crow and crow cannot be thought to know
My reasons for controlling you are pure as driven snow."
"I mean so well, my intentions good, you cannot fault me such."
"The cost you pay is a pittance bit, compared to future stuff."

"Oh, no, no, no," said the wary Crowd, " Our business is our own."
"You need to mind yourself and leave all of us alone."
To which the haughty Councilman gave a huge harrumph and smirk.
"I am entitled to do my wish, and you can all eat dirt."
"The tracking of your trash will make me happy, full of glee."
"Your recycling is my business now and what you throw I'll see."

The Crowd bowed down and lowly curtsied left the room,
They felt the over-casting spell of certain coming doom,
As the Councilman yelled after them with a loud and nasty cue,
"Rejoice at all your money spent, I spent it all for you!"
"It matters not to me or mine as you defend and gripe."
"I'll be on top controlling you, as the floor with you I wipe."




1 comment: