Saturday, August 11, 2012

PAUL RYAN - OPTIMISM ARRIVES?

I'm trying not to get too excited.  My libertarian friends will be picking at Ryan's voting record and I share those concerns.  As I look around at responses to putting Ryan on the ticket, I am seeing some really derogatory opinions from the Ron Paul crowd.  I wish those people would somehow realize that Ron Paul is not the person most Americans have chosen to lead this nation.  I also wish those in the Ron Paul camp would realize they have had an impact in this election cycle and have pulled the Republican Party somewhat toward more Constitutional fervor.  That is a good thing.

I think Romney made a good choice today.  As I watched Paul Ryan in the Healthcare Symposium with Barack Obama a couple of years ago, I remember thinking at the time, "This guy has both the smarts and the guts to speak truth to power."  When Paul Ryan speaks about fiscal policy, I believe he has a real handle on it and is not giving up on fixing the debt problem.  When Paul Ryan talks about the future of our children, there is something about his expression of care for his own family that makes me believe him.  Not the way Obama panders to the "Julia" crowd, where government is the nanny state.  Rather, I believe Paul Ryan speaks about the future in a way that respects individual opportunity for everyone who will get in the game and work toward that.  He believes in free enterprise.  He believes in our rights coming from God, not government.  From what I have seen of him, he truly believes in the Founders' vision of America.

Here are just two quotes that might get you excited about Paul Ryan:
On the erosion of liberty:

“Freedom is lost by degrees, and the deepest erosions usually take place during times of economic hardship, when those who favor expanding the sphere of government abuse a crisis to persuade free citizens that they should trade in a little of their liberty for empty promises of greater economic security.” 


On the incompatibility between big government and individual rights:

“Rather than increasing the size and scope of central administration, let us champion an agenda guided by the American Idea of equal rights under law. Let’s begin to remove the hurdles that government has erected. Legislative reform should empower people, families, and communities, not bureaucrats and their cronies.” 
 

 The rest of that article is good for your spirit!

The others who were bandied through the press as VP maybes, were not nearly at the level of class, energy, and intelligence as Paul Ryan.  Chris Christy is a loud, unattractive, declassé politician who has had some "bully pulpit" moments, but did not convince me to be someone I would want to represent our nation.  Rubio is handsome and charismatic, but has a "qualification" problem due to his parents' citizen status when he was born.  I don't want to go through that again, thank you. And besides, picking Rubio would seriously seem like pandering to Hispanics, legal or not.  Frankly, I'm not in the mood to go through the same type of pandering to select groups that Obama has been doing over the last 4 yrs.  Portman.  Don't know anything about the guy except he is from Ohio and that Ohio is a crucial state for the election.  I just don't think he had any kind of name recognition and would have lost the election for Romney on that count alone.  Jindal.  I like him, but do not think he has the economic substance that Ryan has.  Again, I'm not sure of his parents' citizen status, so that might have been a problem, too. There were a couple of others.  Not stellar.  

So is Paul Ryan a stellar pick for Veep?  I think so.  And I hope so.  I also think his age brings in a youthful exuberance for young conservatives who need leadership and inspiration.  I'm glad for that.  I see many young people who are so confused on the principles of American government, that Paul Ryans' leadership will be invaluable to them.  You see, our government isn't about old, dead, white men.  It is about freedom for individuals.  Obama, and the last few administrations, have nearly put out the fire that burns for freedom among young people.  Regulating and forcing us into indentured servitude is what the "Progressive" infiltrators in our government are completely committed to do to us. That is a morally destitute message they have handed young Americans. That is not the message of Paul Ryan.  To the contrary, he is so clearly opposite of that, I think he is the right voice at the right time to wrench our nation back from the brink.  

Now that sounds really hopeful and no doubt puts too much weight on that young man's shoulders.  But I'm impressed.  And this VP pick gives me a reason to vote for Romney.  A reason that certainly Romney wasn't giving me.  This referendum on Obama's Communism is about to enter a new level of discourse in our national debate.  Finally we have someone who can articulate the goodness of American principles and explain why Obama and all of his ilk are all wrong for this country, don't belong in our government, and actually should leave on the next boat to China.  (Good thing I'm not in charge.  I'd have the whole lot deported permanently.) 

I'm looking more forward to this election now than I was just a few days ago....and my attitude is because Paul Ryan is on the ticket.  So my optimism has returned, if ever so cautiously.  I wonder if others feel as I do on this.  I'd love to see a really big rout in November.  Paul Ryan's presence just may bring it on.   


4 comments:

  1. I agree Paul Ryan SOUNDS wonderful, but you do have to look at his record.. This is from the Republican Liberty Caucus write up in Wisconsin (or the cache of it):

    The issue Ryan is most known for is his interest in cutting the deficit and balancing the budget.

    But why did the Congressman vote to bail out the auto industry, to pass the Medicare package to the tune of $400 billion, and to nationalize education via No Child Left Behind?

    Paul Ryan on Bailouts and Government Stimuli
    -Voted YES on TARP (2008)
    -Voted YES on Economic Stimulus HR 5140 (2008)
    -Voted YES on $15B bailout for GM and Chrysler. (Dec 2008)
    -Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)

    Paul Ryan on Entitlement Programs
    -Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
    -Voted YES on providing $70 million for Section 8 Housing vouchers. (Jun 2006)
    -Voted YES on extending unemployment benefits from 39 weeks to 59 weeks. (Oct 2008)
    -Voted YES on Head Start Act (2007)

    Paul Ryan on Education
    Rep. Ryan went along with the Bush Administration in supporting more federal involvement in education. This is contrary to the traditional Republican position, which included support for abolition of the Department of Education and decreasing federal involvement in education.

    -Voted YES on No Child Left Behind Act (2001)

    Paul Ryan on Civil Liberties
    -Voted YES on federalizing rules for driver licenses to hinder terrorists. (Feb 2005)
    -Voted YES on making the PATRIOT Act permanent. (Dec 2005)
    -Voted YES on allowing electronic surveillance without a warrant. (Sep 2006)

    Paul Ryan on War and Intervention Abroad
    -Voted YES on authorizing military force in Iraq. (Oct 2002)
    -Voted YES on emergency $78B for war in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Apr 2003)
    -Voted YES on declaring Iraq part of War on Terror with no exit date. (Jun 2006)
    -Voted NO on redeploying US troops out of Iraq starting in 90 days. (May 2007)

    Congressman Ryan supports the United Nations, the World Trade Organization, federal bailouts, increased federal involvement in education, unconstitutional and undeclared wars, Medicare Part D (a multi trillion dollar unfunded liability), stimulus spending, and foreign aid.

    According to Michelle Malkin in 2009, “[Paul Ryan] gave one of the most hysterical speeches in the rush to pass TARP last fall; voted for the auto bailout; and voted with the Barney Frank-Nancy Pelosi AIG bonus-bashing stampede. Milwaukee blogger Nick Schweitzer wrote: ‘He ought to be apologizing for his previous votes, not pretending he was being responsible the entire time, but I don’t see one bit of regret for what he did previously. And I’ll be damned if I’m going to let him get away with it’.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romney just went up a notch in my book. This the type of decission I would expect from a good corporate He picked a man that is smart, knowledgeable, and will be an effective contributor to the executive team. They complement each other in many ways. Romney is a big picture gut and Ryan is a detail guy. Romney is a bit of an elitest and Ryan is not. Ryan has been in Congress since 1999. He has no home or even an apartment in DC. He sleeps on a cot in his office and after the last vote on Thursday each week he heads home where his pick-up truck is parked at the airport waiting for him. men are devoted family men. Romney might have picked someone who would havebeen more helpful in the campaign to get himself elected; but he picked someone who will be a great asset if he is elected. Neither man is as bold as I would like them to be on policy; but, all in all I think we have a pretty good teaam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous....why are you anonymous? As I said in my post, Libertarians are not going to like Ryan and are going after him with a vengeance. Also, as I said in my post, I am "cautious" in my optimism. I would much rather see a voting record that matches Ryan's proposals and rhetoric. If I may make a lame excuse for him, I think the Republican Party establishment has made terrible decisions on all of those votes and policies you mention above...but I am not laying the blame of those decisions entirely on Ryan's shoulders. From what I am hearing from my representatives at all levels, they are not able, individually, to swing this ship around. It is going to take a lot of conservatives in office to accomplish that. If we don't get the Senate back, even Romney and Ryan are going to hamstrung. Sure, I'd like to see a Republican ticket that repudiates all of those things...especially the Federal involvement in the schools. I have never heard Ryan say that he is in support of the United Nations' treaties. So no idea where you got that. If you keep up with my blog, I am not trusting any politician at this point in my life. From what I have seen from Republicans over the last several years, I don't like most of what they have done....and I believe they (both parties) are being yanked by some outside power such as the World Bank, the IMF, and global puppeteers. Can Ryan step outside of that now? Can he and Romney move the bar back to Founding principles at least somewhat? I hope so.

    All that said, we have two choices here. Obama's communism, or Romney - Ryan going in at least a better direction. I'd like to see a great leap. I'd like to see everything done by Obama and the "Progressives" in both parties eradicated immediately. Wishful thinking is not going to get me there. Ryan is not a magician. He is a thoughtful policy wonk with great communication skills and core American principles. If he has the chance to restore those principles, instead of having to dilute everything in a Congress that is corrupt, we may have some hope of swinging things back to sanity ...at least some. We will see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim...Hope springs eternal. We would have liked a very bold attack from the Republican team...but we have what we have. As you can see from the "anonymous" comment, the votes are worrisome. I agree that personally Ryan seems to be a devoted family man and a principled person. I like him a lot. I'm to the point of thinking God Himself sees America as an uphill battle. We've got a long way to go to undo 100 years of creeping "progressivism." I just hope ...there is that word again...that the beginning of that is this year's election. If Romney and Ryan can get rid of Obamacare with its horrific, draconian, mandates and rationing, that would be a step in the right direction..to say the least. And fire every damn one of the Czars. Ryan talks a lot about getting rid of cronyism / corruption...as you know that is one of my biggest complaints. Not sure what more to say, but "we will see what these guys can do."

    ReplyDelete