Friday, November 6, 2009

H.L. MENCKEN QUOTE FOR THE DAY

I just could not resist this....just discovered by me a few minutes ago....H.L. Mencken says this:

"The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men. As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron." (Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920)

Being an only semi-educated twit, I have not had the privilege of studying Mencken. Curiosity sent me to look into his biography this morning and the quote above is what I found. Just had to share it with the rest of the "plain folks" out there. I guess he saw this day coming......Hmmmmm..... I'll go back to contemplating my navel now.

No comments:

Post a Comment